August 24, 2008

History Remix (by Cailtin Carver)






The second floor of the Wieland Wing was something to behold. Growing up I was never really taught about racism in school. I got taught the bare minimum of civil rights. I cannot say it was where I was from, but most would probably argue that. When you first walk in on the wall, the picture that is on top of the page is there. After seeing that I truly did not know what to expect. As soon as I walked in, there were jsut picture after picture of the civil rights movement. Picutes of the KKK with buring crosses and black people getting beat and picutes of death. Needless to say, since I did not know basically anything about this I was shocked, very shocked. A couple of pictures really got to me. Especially a certain church that got burned down in the 60's just 20 miles from where I grew up. It shocked me because to think that this happened right where I grew up. There was also documnents that were recorded. In this room, it was just a little piece of history that made a huge impact on everyone's life and it is still going on today. It is a neverending struggle.

As you walk into the Comtemporary Arts side after 1968 in it truly a sight to behold. From top to bottom on all 4 sides of the wall, there is jsut picture after picture of blacks and blacks and whites coming togethter and holding hands and sitting side by side. It really was capitaviting to see. Sitting in the middle room seeing all of these was specticular, especially for me.

Coming to college and getting out of my small town I have grew up and learned alot. IN my small town I truly only grew up around about 5 black people and a few were only half, but there was, in most parts, still hatred and hostiatily towards people of a different race. I never had that mentiality becasue I played sports and they were my friends, but to come to college and see how other people lived and seeing that the struggle is still there for different races to become accepted is a huge issue. I got an inside view, if only for a moment, of what it was like to be black in the 60's, and I took alot away from my time on the second floor of the Wieland Wing at the High Musuem.

-------Cailtin Carver

1 comment:

Team 7 said...

Caitlin that was a great post. I plan to attend the High Museum for that particular learning as well. It bothers me today as well that there is still hostility between African americans and Caucasins(whites). I think we are all equal and no matter what race or nationality we are, we all have different levels of classes. Regardless though, we are all human beings and deserve the same rights.